Using a mason jar with a lid, boiling water, a little hairspray and some ice cubes you can make a cloud in a jar.
- First boil about 1/3 cup of water and add it to the jar.
- Quickly spritz a bit of hairspray in the jar and add the lid upside down to the top of the jar.
- Stack the ice cubes to the jar lid and watch what happens inside the jar.
- Water vapor should form inside the jar like a cloud.
Questions to Ask:
- What are clouds made of? (Water vapor)
- Are all clouds the same? (No, clouds come in different sizes and shapes.)
- Are clouds always high in the sky? (No, fog is a cloud that is low to the ground.)
Safety Tip: Use pot holders to handle hot pans or jars with boiling water. Do not put the ice inside the jar. Quick changes in temperature can crack the glass.