- Pour a little milk onto a plate.
- Pour a small amount of water onto a different plate.
- Add drops of food coloring around the edges of the plates.
- In the center of the plate add a few drops of dish detergent.
- Notice what happens on each plate.
Safety Tip: Do not drink the milk or water!
Questions to Ask:
- What happened on each plate? (The colors spread out and reacted differently to the detergent.)
- What does milk have in it that water does not? (The milk has fat in it.)
- What did the detergent do? (The detergent tries to break down the fat and the colors spread out differently.)