Have you ever noticed that sunlight makes colors fade? Gather brightly colored paper, several pennies or other shapes like legos or building blocks. Find a spot outside that gets several hours of sunlight and arrange them to form a pattern or design. Wait 4-6 hours and then remove the pennies or blocks and observe any changes to the paper.
Tip: If it is a windy day you may need to weight the corners of the paper under a flower pot or with rocks so it won’t blow away.
Questions to Ask:
- Where is the paper appearing lighter? (Around the design.)
- Where is the paper darker? (Under the pennies or other shapes.)
- Where is the sunlight affecting the paper? (Any places that are not blocked by the pennies or shapes.)
- What might happen if we left the paper with the shapes out for a longer time?
- (The paper would continue to lighten.)
To Learn More:
Watch this video on YouTube: Click this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e__f8Ydu8Q – or watch the video below.