Middle school is where students decide if it’s possible for them to pursue a STEM career. The mySci 6-8 curriculum builds on the success of mySci K-5. The 6-8 program is designed to engage students in authentic science learning centered around relevant and rigorous driving questions.
The 6-8 curriculum is comprised of 15 modules arranged by core science area. Each module includes a real-world performance task to be used as a summative assessment. To encourage and build on best practices in instruction, each modules uses an expanded 5E learning cycle – the 7E cycle includes Elicit, Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate, Evaluate and Extend. The learning cycle actively engages students in their own learning and prepares them for the culminating performance task that asks students to apply what they have learned to answer the driving question.
The mySci program’s unique design makes it one of the most flexible science curriculums available. The lessons and activities of the modules are integrated across subject areas and are aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), the Missouri Learning Standards and Common Core math and literacy standards.
Download free curriculum materials for middle school mySci Module 5 Waves.
Already a mySci partner?
If you are a mySci Partner, press the red button to access the full units.
How do I adopt mySci 6-8?
We want to create a plan that fits your school or district and your budget, and for that reason we customize everything we do. The first step in our process is to perform a Needs Assessment. This helps us identify areas where you excel and areas where resources can be better leveraged. Once the assessment is complete, we create a plan unique to you, with implementation and funding options.
As a mySci partner you have access to curriculum, student journals, pre-/post-assessments, lendable items, partner resources, and professional development opportunities. mySci units are available online in a format that encourages all teachers to share their creative adaptations, additions, and recommendations. Instructional materials can be fluid, living documents that, unlike textbooks, can be continually improved and adapted based on user feedback.
Interested in adopting the mySci program for your district? Contact Diane Pilla at firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-935-9856.
mySci 6-8 is designed to:
- Be Centered Around Real-World Problems
- Be Interdisciplinary
- Be Multidisciplinary
- Remove Barriers for Teachers
- Be Assessable
- Be Flexible
- Include Professional Development
mySci walks with educators every step of the way
We view each school as a partner in education. And as partners, we employ a team of experienced educators to deliver professional development tailored to teachers. Our strategy is simple and purposeful.
In service to our partners, mySci offers customized professional development on each module, as well as general sessions that focus on building content knowledge and best practices. The program includes online materials that act as supplemental support for teachers.
Along with written materials that are designed with best practices and comprehensive standards in mind, each module is accompanied by a kit of hands-on science material.
Each module contains:
- Materials organized by lesson for each use
- Grade-leveled books, integrating science and literacy
- pre and post assessment packages that allow educators to track student progress
This package helps teachers spend less time gathering materials and more time inspiring students through hands-on science.
mySci manages the kit process from beginning to end. Because structure varies from school to school, schools can select their own kit delivery schedule, along with number of kits per grade level and distribution among teachers.
With our local distribution facility, extra materials can be delivered to your school in a timely manner. Our facility also includes a classroom available for professional and curricular development meetings and a STEM materials lending service. Educators are free to use these services to enhance science teaching in their district.
The mySci 6-8 program is designed to engage students in authentic science learning centered around relevant and rigorous driving questions.
Each module uses an expanded 5E learning cycle – the 7E cycle includes Elicit, Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate, Evacuate and Extend.
Elements of the mySci 6-8 program:
- Modules use science as a tool to solve real-world problems
- Curriculum brings different types of science together in each module
- Curriculum incorporates English language, arts, mathematics and social students throughout the modules
- Modules encourage teachers to use new style of curriculum and provide structured teacher’s guide that allows teachers to gain confidence in science
- Each kit is packaged by session
- Each module includes real-world performance task to be used as a summative assessment
- Each module written with conceptual flow and culminating assessments, including a performance task
- Modules provide logical progression for teachers to use, but also allow them to customize material by building upon it with their own activities
- mySci offers customized professional development on each module
- Program includes online materials that act as supplemental support for teachers
The lessons and activities of the mySci program are integrated across subject areas and are aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards, the Missouri Leanring Standards and Common Core math and literacy standards.
Each unit emphasizes scientific and engineering practices, focuses on a core disciplinary idea appreciate for the grade level and encourages students to make connections using the crosscutting concepts. The learning progression are intentional and enable students to build on prior learning.
Check out how we align: